Zelda XD2: Mercuris Chess is the sequel of the first XD parodic game, and was also released on April 1st, in 2017 this time. As a direct sequel, the overworld is expanded, the story is extended and the funny tone is kept, if not bettered!
The game was made in 10 weeks (!), beginning with an a discussion about how people always mispronounce Mercuris Chest (note the T at the end). Diarandor suggested that a game could be named Mercuris Chess to make fun of the title, and the same day it was decided that it would be the next big april’s fools joke.
The team workded really hard, and you can feel the improvements from the previous games. The game has 2 dungeons, and lots of side-quests and secrets everywhere, and also feature funny stupid PNJs around the overworld. Be sure to speak to every one to not miss a joke! The estimated game duration is 7-12h of playing.
You do not need to have played the first XD game to enjoy Mercuris Chess. However, to appreciate the game’s introduction, you need to know that, in the first episode, Link locked Zelda up in his cave after a drinking night.
Authors: Christopho, Solarus Team
Release date: 04/01/2017
License: GNU GPL v3 (engine) - Copyright Nintendo (assets)
Languages: English, French
- Directional keys: Move Link and select options in the different subscreens.
- Space bar: Action displayed in the icon (lift objects, activate switches, read, open doors and chests, etc.)
- "C" key: Swing your sword; save your game when the game is paused; skip dialogs when possible.
- "D" key: Pause or resume the game. Use the left and right arrow keys to switch subscreens.
- "X" & "V" keys: Use items. In the game, set your items to the "X" and "V" icons to use them.
- F5: Switch the screen resolution.
Big thanks to all people who helped us for the development of this project! If you want to make a version for another system or architecture, translate the game, or just report a problem, feel free to contact me.
Solarus and our games are free and open-source, but if you want to help us, you can donate via PayPal, BitCoin or Flattr. Your support is very appreciated.